Arriving at University may be one of the biggest changes you have made in your life to date and we want to support you during your years studying in Southampton. We love having students as part of our church family. It doesn't matter whether you are from Southampton University or Southampton Solent University, British or International, we seek to be a community for you to belong to as we enable you to grow in your relationship with Jesus, provide you with opportunities to serve and use your gifts in church life and prepare you to reach out to your friends with the good news of Jesus Christ. We invite you to worship and serve alongside our community of all ages and stages of life. Portswood Church is centred on Jesus Christ, focused on the message of the Bible, dependent on God through prayer and driven to share the good news of Jesus in Portswood and wherever we are in the city.
At Portswood Church you will find:
- A Place to Belong – You won't be viewed as a term-time visitor to Portswood Church, but as part of our community. Although there is the opportunity to get involved with a programme just for students, we hope you will enjoy getting to know many people and being part of the wider church.
- A place to grow in relationship with Jesus – Whether you have been a Christian for years, are just starting out or simply wonder what Christianity is all about, we want to help you know Jesus more deeply so that you leave university more excited about him than when you arrived.
- A place to serve and use your gifts – People who belong to our church also serve in our church so that means you can too! Chat to us about the various ways you can get involved from youth work to community projects, music ministry to a community café. There are so many ways for you to use your gifts and bless others.
- A place to be supported and equipped in mission – Life at university is unlike any other stage of your life! Being surrounded by people day and night provides you with a fantastic opportunity to share and show the love of Jesus to your friends. We work in partnership with the Christian Unions at both universities and many of our church family were also students in Southampton or have worked alongside the CUs through UCCF. We are passionate about students reaching students with the good news of Jesus, so we want to support and help you to live for him among your friends and in your CU if you choose to be involved with it.
What's on for students?Sunday Mornings 10:00am – We encourage all students to come along to our Sunday morning service to join with the whole church family in worship and hearing from God through Bible teaching.
The Lounge, Sunday Evenings 6:00 - 8:00pm – Every fortnight from 7th October, we have a group for students and young adults (18-30ish) seeking to wrestle with what it means to follow Jesus during this particular stage of life.
'The Kitchen Table', Thursdays (term term only) 7:00-9:00pm
– This is an informal opportunity for undergraduate students to make friends, chat, pray, play games, drink hot chocolate and eat cake! Drop in sessions - come when you can, go when you like.
Lunches, Weekend Away, Socials – throughout the year we organise student lunches, social times and a weekend away. Our next student lunch will be on Sunday 14th October 12.30 - 2.30pm after our morning service.
Regular Church life – As well as the student programme,
we'd love you to join us at any of other regular activities, such as homegroups, Heartbeat (Our monthy prayer meeting) and Thursday Open Door cafe. The student team are on hand to help you get to know other people in the church and can link you up to a family or a mentor if that is something you would appreciate.
For further information on all of these things please contact the Student Team:
The leaders are:Sim and Cyrielle de Roemer
Links:Southampton Christian Union – www.sucu.org.uk
Solent Christian Union – Find them on Facebook
UCCF: The Christian Unions - www.uccf.org.uk
Friends International - Welcoming international students http://www.fisuk.org
Be Thinking – A great website full of resources to help you answer the questions your friends are asking – www.bethinking.org